Friday, July 1, 2011

Logical Fallacy: Good or Bad?

Ever since we talked about logical fallacies in my Writing and Rhetoric class the other day, I have been astounded at my findings. For example, there's a rule in my family that it's required to do all the chores and homework before going to hang out with friends. One morning, however, I got invited to go out to breakfast with some friends, and promised that I would return and get my work done afterwards. Nevertheless, my oldest sister that's in charge begged to differ. She said, "If I make an exception for you then I have to make an exception for everyone."

This was very much a Slippery Slope logical fallacy, by accusing that letting me go to out to breakfast would completely ruin the order of the rules and structure within the home. I know it is true that sometimes younger siblings take advantage of these exceptions, because I have also been guilty of this situation (i.e. "You let her go on a road trip with friends when she was 18, so why can't I?). But then again, every individual is different. Some exceptions can be made if you know the person is more more mature, dependable, and will follow through with what they say, versus another who may be more reckless, careless, and procrastinates. I wasn't in the mood to argue and point out the intellectual flaw of her argument, so I complied, didn't go out to breakfast, and made other plans with friends for lunch after I finished my work.

I wonder when I become older if I'll have a more autocratic parenting style by allowing none of my children to be the exception to the rule, or if I'll be more laid back and democratic. Looking back on my childhood it's interesting to recall all the logical fallacies and ultimatums my parents gave to get me to do things... Or how many times I'm guilty of using them without thinking in my own life.

Altogether, the range of fallacies that can be used present many interesting examples to follow. I suppose it's how you apply them into your life that makes them credible or not. Or choosing which fallacies you will let influence you.

1 comment:

  1. When I'm a parent I plan to operate more on the basis of equity, where each situation in evaluated individually and there are not blanket statements. Those wet blankets ruined a lot of my fun as a child. Until I learned to quit asking or letting my parents know what I was doing at all. I don't want that kind of relationship with my kids.

    ReplyDelete