Thursday, June 30, 2011

Soul Surfer


Tonight I went and saw the movie "Soul Surfer." Talk about a film that sends you through a wave of emotions. The movie is based on the true story of Bethany Hamilton, an aspiring surfer who was attacked by a shark and left armless. I cried... I mean, my allergies started acting up as she came home and struggled with daily activities, also realizing she didn't have the ability to do hobbies like play the ukelele anymore. Frustration, however, was overcome with joy as she succeeded in learning how to surf with only one arm as she slowly, but surely worked her way back to champion status. The love and support from her friends, family, and others inspired by her perseverance was also portrayed very effectively in creating the same sensations of joy within the audience.

With a christian foundation, throughout the film she also repeatedly used the scripture Jeremiah 29:11 which states, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Her faith in this promise was portrayed in her example as she states at the end of the movie that, "I could have never embraced this many people with two arms." Her perspective gained from her trial is incredible.

I encourage everyone to see this movie. Even when the credits started rolling, real clips of the actual Bethany Hamilton came to the screen and everyone in the theater stayed in their seats as they watched for another ten minutes the footage of an extraordinary woman and her journey. We all face things that seem impossible either currently or in the future. It’s inevitable and no one is immune. The principles contained in this movie will help carry you through that difficult time.


Thank you, Bethany Hamilton. I'll be following your example.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter and I saw this movie when it came out and we also found it inspirational. Bethany Hamilton is a good example to follow. I felt the movie was realistic about showing the psychological impact it had on her and her mom when she first lost her arm and had to adjust to life without it. The message that I got out of it is that you can overcome great obstacles by perseverance and attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that Bethany could bounce back from something like that with such a great attitude. One of my neighbors lost both his arms from the elbow down in an electrical accident and has managed to maintain a similar attitude to Bethany's. Thank you for this inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete